Friday 1 October 2010

ON HAVING DYSPRAXIA

Dyspraxia is an impairment of the organisation of movement. It is associated with problems of perception, language and thought. The term dyspraxia comes from the word praxis, which means 'doing, acting'. It includes what to do and how to do it.
There may be an overlap with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), Dyslexia and Asperger's Syndrome. Many dyspraxics show autistic traits.
In addition to the physical impairments, dyspraxia is associated with problems with short-term memory. This typically results in difficulty remembering instructions, difficulty organizing one's time and remembering deadlines, increased propensity to lose things or problems carrying out tasks which require remembering several steps in sequence. People with dyspraxia may have sensory integration dysfunction, including abnormal oversensitivity or undersensitivity to physical stimuli. They are sometimes prone to panic attacks. Dyspraxia can cause problems with perception of distance, and with the speed of moving objects. This can make learning to drive a car difficult. Many dyspraxics struggle to distinguish left from right.


I can’t read or write
Concentrating I don’t do
My teacher says …ain’t nuffin wrong
But I long to be like you!
  
I listen closely but nowt goes in
I look yet do not see
I read and do not understand
Whatever’s wrong with me?

My life!  What do I have?
It don’t get any better
My future don’t look very bright
I need to break these chains that fetter


1 comment:

  1. Swimming is a help gave me sense of right and left.
    If I was leaving school to day instead of 1959 I would be unemployable.
    More help should be given to the youngsters
    liked your blog best of luck Gerald

    ReplyDelete