Tuesday 5 October 2010

COLOR BIAS IN HOLLYWOOD?

I enjoyed Prince of Persia - it was a fun escapist movie that appealed to me and the guy I watched it with. I thought the girl who played the princess in it was really pretty - so I Googled her to find out who she was. Now I've got absolutely nothing against this girl - good for her that she got a part in a major Hollywood movie, BUT...
Why was it necessary to find a white girl who had to take 4 hours plus in make-up to make her look Persian? Surely there are enough actresses in the US who already have this look to choose from - I'm getting flashbacks of white folks dressing up for minstrel shows here.


Gemma Arterton

1 comment:

  1. I would not read too much into it. Directors do that sort of thing all the time. For example, the director of Sin City hired Jessica Alba, an actress who is well known for not doing nudity, to play a stripper in his movie. Clueless bunch, really.

    ReplyDelete