Saturday 2 October 2010

MEDITATION to relieve stress


Life can get pretty hectic when you live in a big city and the stress can build up easily if you're not careful. One way I calm myself down is by practising the Tai Chi forms that I've already talked about. Another method is meditation. If you want to get into this I'd really recommend going on a course of some kind as just sitting there on your own contemplating the universe probably won't work. My own route is through Zazen, which is Zen Buddhist meditation - something I learnt at the same place I learnt my Tai Chi. Traditionally Zazen is done in a kneeling position, but personally I far prefer the lotus position used in yoga as its way more comfortable and avoids me spending most of my meditation time concentrating on the agony of the way I'm sitting. One problem you can encounter with meditation is that to work well you should avoid wearing anything that is made of artificial fibres such as nylon, polyester etc - the simplest way to do that is just strip off - best to do that indoors though if you're in a city, though I do meditate that way out in the wild sometimes, away from everyone and everything. Meditating this way out in the rain in the summer is sublime.


No comments:

Post a Comment